11.07.2011

Positive Behavior Jars


Mia and Owen have been busy learning what positive behavior is.  We've been using a reward program for a few years now.  We started out with sticker charts, and both Mia and Owen filled a few charts.  Mia's usually filled up at least twice as fast and got twice as many rewards.  We switched to "bead jars" recently and the kids love filling their jars.  I saved some peanut butter and jelly jars and washed them up to use. Owen could live on peanut butter and jelly so he is quite proud of his peanut butter jar :)

These are the type of beads we use....
Our beads were actually something I picked up at Wal-Mart on clearance.  It was $5 well spent.  Mia and Owen sort them, count them, thread them on strings and tonight while I was making supper they were threading them on spaghetti noodles. 

Positive behavior in our house can be: doing a job without me asking, doing a job I ask with no complaining, being nice to their sibling, answering questions, helping mom with Dylan, asking how they can help, being polite, using good table manners and so on.  If one is not nice to the other, one of their beads goes into the other's jar....and they dread that!!



I will put these labels on my Design blog and you are free to download them to tape/paste/glue them onto some jars of your own.  Your kids will love it and you'll be surprised at how fast the catch on and want to help out willingly.

Here is a picture of my cuties ... (I can't ever get them to look in the same direction at the same time).


Photobucket




4 comments:

  1. I may have to do this!!! I did your chore chart, now PB jars. :) That is the CUTEST pic of those CUTE kids!!!!!!!!! Oh I miss them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet picture of your kids. I love the bead jar. Actually, i REALLY love the beads. I need to find some like that.:)
    I'm a new follower from the Mingle Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so making these, I just love this idea!!
    I love your blog; seriously. I always find stuff here to inspire me. This is why I am awarding you the Sunshine award. Please find the details and collect your award at wemadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen ideas like this before - I've watched way too much Nanny 9-1-1 and they do this on there quite a bit. I think it is an excellent idea, but I especially love the beads since the kids get to be creative with their 'winnings' - much better than rewarding them with cookies or marbles or something like that.

    Thanks for sharing! Your positive experiences with it make me want to try something like this with my son when he's a little older.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...